www.tcrconline.com Forum Index www.tcrconline.com
Twin City Radio Controllers Discussion Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Minnesota River coming up yet again

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.tcrconline.com Forum Index -> Club Activities
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jay Bickford

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Minnesota River coming up yet again Reply with quote

Hi All,

I don't know if any of you have looked at the river monitor at the bottom of our home page lately, but it looks like the field will be going under water again later this week. According to the prediction, it will crest at about 21 feet on Saturday, October 1st. As you may know, parts of our field start to flood at the 18 foot mark. If anyone that has been out to the field recently could give as a status report, I'm sure that we would all appreciate it.

Regards,
jimcook

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: Fairgrounds Not Available Saturday, October 1 Reply with quote

I just got off the phone with Jim Luce at the Fairgrounds telling him that our flying field will be going under yet again tomorrow (Thursday, September 29).

The Fairgounds has a wedding scheduled for Saturday and the parking lot will be needed for that event. The TCRC Alternate Flying site at the Fairgrounds WILL BE CLOSED ON SATURDAY, OCTOBER 1.

Current projection is that we will be flooded through Monday, October 3. hopefully the river will go back down as quickly has it has come up. Sad
Dave Kurschner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Field Condition Reply with quote

Just an update. I went down to the airfield on Thursday afternoon. I was there from about 4 pm to 6:00 pm. The only water that was there was a couple of puddles on the East edge of the field. The puddles were not large enough to interfere with the runways or flying unless you chose to taxi 75 feet to the east of the ruways and beyond. I did notice however that the puddles got a little bit larger during the time that I was there.

The neighbor came by on his 4-wheeler and was kind enough to take me on a ride through the woods over to the river to check out the water levels there.

If the river levels somehow were to stay the same, then there wouldn't be flooding to speak of. However the charts show more to come. I took some photos of the field's current conditions.

[/img]
Scott Johnson

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update and the pics, Dave. Welcome to the interesting world of the Jordan flying field. Its only downside.

The real question is, have you flown the Twist?

Perhaps we can introduce you to the thrills of Fairgrounds flying on Sunday.
Dave Kurschner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Flight of the Twist Reply with quote

Scott - I haven't flown the Twist yet. The last time I had flown was with you at the field until yesterday, I got in a couple quick back-to-back flights with your trainer plane. I went there to see the condition of the field and see if my future chances of plane recovery would be "washed away" or not. I've only got a couple days until I'm punching a clock again so even if I can sneak an hour in here or there, I'll try to jump on the opportunity. There were fairly strong gusty wind conditions. I have enough to think about on the Twist's upcoming maiden voyage so I didn't think that 20+ mph gusts would've helped my cause at all.
Scott Johnson

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave-

Sunday looks pretty breezy as well. You probably wouldn't want to maiden the Twist at the fairgrounds, unless you want to rip out the landing gear. It would be OK for flying the Kadet, though.

-Scott
Jay Bickford

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

I just received an e-mail from new member Dan Cinnamon, and he reported that the Jordan Field was flooded up to the fence as of Friday afternoon at about 5:30 PM. According to the river monitor, it looks like we still have a ways to go before the river crests at about 20 1/2 feet on Sunday. The good news is that it should go down as fast as it came up.

Just curious, but do any of you long time members remember the Jordan Flying Field ever flooding before this late in the season?

Regards,
e-flyer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't call me a long time member, but we had the same thing happen last September 24th. This crest is pretty similar to that one.

See the following link for the top 45 crests at Jordon from the NWS.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ahps2/crests.php?wfo=mpx&gage=jdnm5
Jay Bickford

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I had forgotten about the field flooding last fall. How quickly we forget.

Thanks for the link to top 45 Minnesota River floods. I thought it is interesting that only 2 of the record events have taken place in September or October. By far the vast majority have taken place in the spring, as we would reasonably expect giving that we are dealing with snow melt and springtime rains at that time of year.

Later,
jimcook

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:12 am    Post subject: What is the rain from October 4 going to do? Reply with quote

As of this morning, I don't believe that the NWS water level predictor has taken into account the huge rainfall that we got last night (Tuesday, October 4). The rain came from the south and west so probably will have a considerable effect on the Minnesota River at Jordan. I suspect we will go back under but I hope I am wrong. Sad
Jay Bickford

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

It looks like you are correct. According to the water level indicator, it looks like the Minnesota River is going back up to about 19 feet or so later today or tomorrow. Hopfully we will be back down under flood stage by this weekend. The weather is suppose to be pretty nice for the weekend, and it would be nice if the river would cooperate too so we can use our field.

Later,
Dave Kurschner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody have a clue as to the status of the field? It would be nice of whoever has stopped out there to give a status report. I'll probably drive out there to check it out if nobody posts anything.
e-flyer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The field is in a flyable condition. Mike Timmerman and I flew a couple of flights this morning. The fairgrounds grass is getting to long to fly anything that does not have larger wheels.

There is only water on the X of the southeast runway. As long as you don't come in long you should be OK.

About half of the pits are dry. The shelter has about 3" of water on it.

Stan Erickson took some pictures that I have posted on the home page. I took some photos at 10:00 Saturday and his show a clear drop in water since that time.

Pat D.
Dave Kurschner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Things looking up at TCRC field Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Pat. Based on your input, I decided to go out to the field on Sunday. There was still water on the East portion of the field slightly receded beyond what is shown on the photos on the homepage. There were actually 6 guys there this afternoon (Sunday) and the weather was beautiful. I got in some good flights on my Twist 3D (Photos added to the Virtual Hangar). There was also a Cap232, an Extra 300S, and Arresti, a couple of trainers, and an interesting Trainer airplane with a Wing from an Ugly stick on it.

I'm really looking forward to next Saturday's event. Hope everybody with a flight worth bird shows up for this one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.tcrconline.com Forum Index -> Club Activities All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: